Wednesday afternoon I hopped on a Chinatown bus bound for Boston, transferred to the Commuter Rail to Worcester, and hung out with my brother until 3am while he prepared for his thesis defense.
Thursday morning we got up, showered, ate breakfast, and then Jay masterfully defended his thesis, earning him the title of... well, Master. His thesis work was on the detection of gaming in computer assisted learning. (Well, that is my summary; it probably is not entirely correct.) Master Jay and myself went to lunch with some of his friends/fellow students. We then went and had a few more beers before dinner. Then it was beer until 11pm.
Friday was Master Jay's birthday, so it was a day of beer, naturally. Wait, we did stop into his lab for about 30 minutes, at which point he told his advisor that he was done for the day. The other 23 hours or so were consumed by beer consumption.
Saturday I witnessed Katamari Damacy. I won't go into a lengthy explanation of this PS2 video game, as it wouldn't matter. I will just say that I interpreted the storyline as this: the King and Queen of the Cosmos order you to roll a little ball called the katamari around. It picks up objects through gravitational mass, so the more objects you pick up, the bigger the ball gets, the greater the mass, the larger the objects you can pick up, etc, etc, repeat ad nauseum. You can end up picking up people, cars, buildings, and so forth, bringing about a wake of destruction. The whole time, up-beat Japanese pop music plays in the background, over the screams of the terrified citizens. I know that the concept makes no sense. Heck, I saw the game and the concept still made no sense, but trust me in that it is the epitome of Japanese video games.
Saturday evening I finally got to see Yilin again after about 4 days. I did miss her, and I told her so.
Today, I work. This coming Friday is my annual thesis committee meeting, and there is a lot I would like to get done before then. As a result, my updates will be short and sporadic until sometime this weekend. Wish me luck!
Sunday, December 04, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
So if he is Master Jay, then are you Master Master Josh?
jay and i talked about that. i think we came to the conclusion that one title of "master" was sufficient. however, upon earning my doctorate, my title would be upgraded to "master doctor". :)
Post a Comment