Thursday, February 23, 2006

Coogan's Photo Show

I am a member of the photography club here at the Health Sciences campus. This allows me virtually unrestricted access to the darkroom, with full use of the chemistry to develop and print as many black and white photos as I desire. The woman currently running the photo club asked me to join a few of the other members in having a photo show at a local restaurant/pub. (For those of you who live in WH, the establishment is Coogan's.)

I agreed, and as such had to present about 20 pieces to the other 4 participants on Tuesday night. The idea being that as it was our collective show, we would collectively decide which pieces from each person's portfolio would be included. Of course, each person presented a small number of photos (20) that they had preselected, so it's not as if they had no say in what was chosen. I intentionally did not bring any of the panoramic landscape photos that I have because I don't want to deal with the hassle of printing them on our delinquent lab inkjet printer or shelling out ~$150 each to have them (cheaply) custom matted and framed. (We have to pay to have our own pieces matted and framed, which isn't cheap. Precut mats and frames for standard sizes can be gotten for about $20-$50+. Panoramic photos must be custom matted and framed.)

You can see the 20 that I and Yilin chose here. (NOTE: If you haven't noticed, when you view my slideshows you can click on the actual photo itself and you are given the title and a short description. It's a pretty cool feature that Flickr has incorporated into its slideshows, and I recommend you try it out.) All of the photos are digital, except the B&W photos (minus the flower) which are film photos that I developed, printed, and scanned.

Of course, I was asked why I didn't bring any of the panoramic photos. Of those that I brought, four were chosen to be included in the show. These are the four. (The 'Anenomes" photo which everyone seems to like was nixed from the get go by the woman running the club as I had auctioned that for a fundraiser last year. She wants the show to be comprised of work we haven't publicly shown, which is fair.) These four were chosen almost thematically. If people would see the beauty of the 3 photos of the Canadian Rockies compared to the "beauty" of the courtyard in Washington Heights, then they would realize how lovely a place WH is. Ha ha ha.

As a caveat, I was asked to bring some small prints of the panoramics for the others to look at. If they decide that they like those better then I will be asked to print/mat/frame those in place of some that were chosen. I will probably fight it, as I don't really have the money to spend on that right now. Feel free to leave feedback, particularly if you have seen other photos of mine.

(Oh yeah, if you like any of these, clicking on the photo in the slideshow will allow you to click a link which will "open photo in new window". When you do that you are brought to my Flickr page, which allows you to download the photo in different sizes, including the 'original' which is 1024 in the largest dimension, for your desktop pleasure. If you really like the photo, you can order prints. None of that is controlled by me, nor do I get money for it.)

11 comments:

Katie said...

You are very talented. Those pictures are great. I especially like the one with the lampost. I'd be interested to go to Coogan's and look at all of the pics, so let us know the details.

Anonymous said...

You have always had an excellent artistic eye! What did you use to take the Rockies photographs? Do tell us your favorite of the 20!

Anonymous said...

Those are absolutely beautiful, Josh. You certainly have an eye.

Anonymous said...

Josh- those are awesome pictures! All of them are really beautiful. What kind of digital camera do you use? I would like to buy a new one (preferably in the higher optical zoom range) before my trip to Alaska this summer.

Anonymous said...

"Courtyard" is my favorite. That burst of color against the darker background -- so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What's the 'Anenomes' photo? Post up a picture of that! These are looking very solid, keep rocking it.

josh said...

thanks for the compliments.

the photos of the rockies were taken with my trusty canon powershot s500 digital elph. it's the best point and shoot digital camera i have ever used (not that i've used many). as it is discontinued, i recommend the newer models of the digital elphs. they are all small, light, and really only vary by image sensor (# of megapixels). jess, you should look into these cameras. (i expounded on this camera at length here.)

i would say that my favorite of the 20 here are: limbs, hidden lake, luminaire, and bench (in no particular order). i think it's because i have seen the others so many times, while the b&w photos are newer and more within my current photography mindset. of course, my favorite photos of all time are the panoramic ones that i shot in canada. i will be posting those for everyone sometime relatively soon. relatively.

nate, the 'anemones' is the one that has the yellow-green wispy flowers in the foreground with mt assiniboine in the background.

ains, thanks for the feedback. i like that one, too. it was really easy to do: shoot photo, use photoshop to desaturate all the colors except magenta. apply a little vignette on the corners, voila!

dan said...

hot damn boy, you gots some profeshnul lookin snaps, there. totally lovely. someday we're gonna have to snap photos together so i can see what you do, as my "good" photos don't look as good as your good photos. :)

josh said...

thanks dan, but the subject matter really helps. if you shoot 100 photos at the most amazing mountain you ever saw, one of them will look good, even if it is only a fraction as amazing as the real life view.

as for shooting photos together, how about next weekend? or some weekday morning? as i understand it, we both have pretty flexible schedules...

Anonymous said...

Josh- Your pictures are amazing. I showed them to David and his response to the 'anemones' picture was that they looked like the Truffula Trees from Dr. Seuss's the Lorax. I agree.

paducci said...

i'll say what has been said, shaweet pics man.