Why was it so fast? Because of planning and experience. Yilin had everything pretty well planned out and I lent my experience to this endeavor. The key things to know when moving:
- Everything should be in boxes.
- Large furniture/beds should be loaded first.
- Load the truck from front to back, using all available space up to the ceiling.
If you leave large objects for last then you run the risk of having to partially unload and reload the truck. Most people grossly underestimate the amount of stuff they own. Even then, you will still be ok if you efficiently pack boxes and efficiently load the truck. Failure to do either of those things means multiple trips or your friends take stuff to the new apartment for you while you drive the truck.
How fast was the move? Try 2 hours total. Total! People were asked to show up at 2pm. One person was 10 minutes early, but we couldn't start until the next 2 showed up at 5 minutes after. Others showed up a few minutes later. At 4pm exactly we had moved everything into the new apartment. Note that we drove about 155 blocks in Manhattan to get from Yilin's old apartment to her new one. I think it was about 30 minutes or so, but imagine 7.5 miles of driving in the center of NYC. (We actually made better time, I believe, but I wasn't watching the clock as I was swerving around pedestrians and cutting off cabdrivers trying to set the Manhattan land speed record.)
I think I have to retire from helping people move as that is my new personal best record. Any other move would be an antithesis.

5 comments:
It is a good thing that Yilin has friends or the move would have taking longer preventing you from such an astonishing record for the "Yilin Move". Too bad you did not have a time keeper with correct count of boxes and items as you could have submitted it into the "Guinness World Book of Records" but I am sure the submission form would be ridiculous to fill out.
yeah, but how much time did she spend packing and unpacking? these are both important metrics.
when I moved last time, I kind of enjoyed the mess. It's like a made-up ordeal, in lieu of any real problems in life. :o)
Next time, tho, I will cull you from retirement.
What are you still doing at school!? Your calling in life is obviously as a mover! Mark the 18th on your calendar, I heard a rumor where you can get some more practice. hahaha =)
while efficient, modularized, uniform packing is key...several bodies make it so much better.
Post a Comment