Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Wanna buy a MIG-21?

Here is some interesting news (keeping in line with my recent post): A Chinese businessman recently bought a MIG-21 fighter jet off of eBay, but demanded a refund when he was told that the jet wouldn't be shipped overseas from the U.S.

It is unimportant in my opinion that he can't get the jet. What is important is this: his winning bid was a mere $24,730! Think about it: every young boy I knew dreamt of owning and flying a fighter jet. When we grew we forgot about these childhood dreams, as many people do. Little do we realize that as adults we can make them a reality. Especially when the cost of such a dream is less than a new car!

Forget buying a car when I move out of NYC, I am buying a fighter jet!

9 comments:

dan said...

I remember hearing about this and wondering why the jet was so cheap. Used goods, I guess. I wonder if it flies... I can afford it. :oP

dan said...

by which I meant, I can afford it and not much else.

josh said...

do i envy you... perhaps i should convince halas to buy one. he gets enthusiastic about new ideas every week or so. i just have to push him to go through with it...

;) j/k hyunmi.

hkim said...

As long as I can use it to fly me and Hama far far away, that's fine. Do they make jet-seats for baby hippos with a 19in neck?

Maybe this purchase will make Mike reinstate his "gear of the week" habit. This will then be followed by Tuesday-Movie-at-2pm habit. Haha. I'd like to see how well the attorneys at his firm take to that.

Michael Halas said...

What? I'm getting made fun of in comments! I must defend myself.

"he gets enthusiastic about new ideas every week or so"

1. Haaa, every week?! You have no idea what you are talking about! It is more like every day.

2. I'm quite happy I get enthusiastic about ideas. If I didn't, I don't know what the hell I would ever do. The easiest way to never fail is to never try anything.

3. As I told Hyunmi the other day (and oh it made her so happy). Grad students have had less crazy ideas than "working" people because you can't run away and actually do them. mauahahahahahhaa

josh said...

in re:

1) i stand corrected.

2) fair enough.

3) you just signed your death warrant.

Michael Halas said...

Yeah, I thought # 3 might be over the line. Please give me a few days to get my things in order. Thanks :)

hkim said...

You have no idea how sad I got when he said that to me. I stopped talking...it was just too real and shocking to hear.

what have I done....where is my life...who did I marry?

this should be the new version of the Talking Heads song "Once in a Lifetime."

Anonymous said...

Now we know what to get you for a wedding present. Sorry, Yilin.