Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Honey

I am writing to tell you about honey. About one month ago when Yilin and I were grocery shopping I wanted to buy some honey. A quick look at the appropriate shelf at Fairway revealed that there are many varieties of honey one can purchase; not just different brands, but different varieties.

This I was aware of: there is clover honey, wildflower honey, etc. I spotted a chunky little jar with honey so deeply brown it looked like molasses (almost). I immediately grabbed it and read the title "Wald Honig". Everything on the label, except for about 5 words in small print on the back, was in German. The jar cost something like $8.99 for maybe 12 fl ozs.

I bought the Wald Honig (Wild Honey), harvested from bees in the Black Forest of Germany.

It is the most ridiculously good honey I have ever eaten. It is like honey concentrate without being overly sweet, if you could imagine such a thing. When my brother and his girlfriend recently visited I had them try it and they were blown away by its flavor as well. So I gave them the jar figuring they would never find that brand (BioPhar) in Massachusetts.

Needless to say, I had no more honey. Therefore, when Yilin and I went grocery shopping this weekend I bought another jar. This time, however, I selected "Bluten Honig". It is an opaque golden color with a very creamy sweet taste. Last night Yilin and I made baklava using this honey. It is unreal.

If you ever see this brand of honey, buy it. I am sure any of their varieties are good, but I vouch for the two that I have discussed here. Trust me, you won't regret it.

6 comments:

hkim said...

oh man
I am going to buy this tonight and have it for breakfast. One of my favorite breakfast treats as a kid was honey and butter on a piece of bread. I am so excited.
Honey and PB sandwiches.
Honey and banana sandwiches.

But don't eat too much honey. I did this after my dad gave me fair warning and the consequences are terrible.

Like the time I ate too much fried chicken from Roy Rogers then had TCBY. That was no good either.

Anonymous said...

"Wald Honig" means "Forrest Honey" and "Blüten Honig" means "Flower Honey"

dan said...

I used to dip apples in honey. Then I got the low blood sugar, and now if I dipped apple in honey and ate it, I'd explode. :o(

But that dark honey sounds delish.

josh said...

hyunmi, let me know what you think of it once you try it out. and i am not sure what you mean by "too much fried chicken". that's like saying, "i breathed too much air yesterday and i almost died."

anonymous, thanks for stopping by, and thanks for the translation. i suspected that's what those words meant, although to be honest i would've guessed "Blüten" was "blossom" (which basically means "flower").

dan, you must try this stuff, blood sugar be damned.

Katie said...

Honey never goes bad. My mom always wishes that she could be a bee keeper, so she is constantly pumping us with facts about bees and honey. I'll tell her to try this one.

Anonymous said...

Baklava...I had no idea you liked it. I could have brought some up for you after the holidays on college. Anyway, if you want honey to really knock you on your ass - you should try some of the honey from greece.