Thursday, October 19, 2006

Domo Arigato Mr. Morimoto

Yilin was feeling a bit bummed for the past two days, so I decided she needed cheering up. We all know the best way to cheer someone up is to surprise them, usually with a scary costume and late at night. (Well, OK, maybe that isn't the best way.) Last night I left lab early, showed up at her place of work 5 minutes before she was to leave, and surprised her. I took her to dinner at a fancy pants restaurant opened by famed iron chef Masaharu Morimoto. The restaurant: the eponymous 'Morimoto'.

We got there at an early enough time to sit at the sushi bar and watch the sushi chefs work their sushi magic. Interestingly, there was some white guy who was a sushi chef. Somehow, being white made us question his credentials ("Yeah, like you know how to make sushi, whitey."), but he seemed to know what he was doing. Also, there was a female sushi chef (Japanese), which I thought was odd because I remember hearing that women are not regarded as highly because they supposedly have warmer hands. (Which I don't believe because I have never met a woman with warm hands.)

The meal was amazing, needless to say. I won't go into specifics other than to say that Yilin's eyes and smile were huge the entire time from sheer ecstasy. (Not the drug, but the joy of eating seafood.) I thought she was the happiest I had seen her in days; until He walked in.

She was staring open-mouthed over my shoulder and squeezed my arms tightly with both hands. She practically shrieked in a school girl voice, "It's Morimoto!" I turned around, and sure enough he stood there in the flesh. He was wearing a medium gray samurai-style kimono with the sleeves tied up around his arms ala Toshiro Mifune in Yojimbo. (I missed it, but before I turned around he apparently closed his eyes, inhaled deeply, and then began his brief walk around his restaurant.) It was as if he were prepared for battle. A battle worthy of Kitchen Stadium and Iron Chef America, no doubt.

Yilin was beside herself. As he walked past within a foot of us, I kid you not, she waved her hands in circles in front of her, wafting his smell up to her nose, and then she inhaled deeply. She was completely smitten. As I said, I kid you not. I could never make up anything that ridiculous.

I was then privy to the extent of her fanaticism: she told me that he was like a rockstar to her, and that she was torn between Morimoto and Mario Batali as to whom she loved the most. She then told me that they were numbers 1 and 2, and that I was number 3. (Well, at least I rank higher than Bobby Flay, the other male chef on Iron Chef America.)

And so, Yilin was once more her happy smiling self, in love with life and everything around her. It only took one good meal to restore her to her former condition. One good and expensive meal, that is. I hope she doesn't become bummed out too often once we are married. ;)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is truly awesome. I know I'm jealous! Lindsey got us tickets last night to go see Ed Harris perform for over 100 minutes non-stop in a monster of a monologue. It was pretty incredible. The show is called "Wrecked". We had front row seats and could reach out and touch him. Maybe not as cool as being witness to Morimoto in person though. ;)

Anonymous said...

Correction: the show is called "Wrecks".

josh said...

yilin and i were talking about seeing that show. ed harris is one of my favorite actors.

dan said...

dude that's not cool, to question the white guy's credentials. that's like... questioning whether chuck norris can roundhouse kick.

josh said...

dan, i'm white, and i would certainly not be insulted if someone questioned my sushi making credentials.

second, questioning the white guy's sushi-crafting credentials is not the same as "questioning whether chuck norris can roundhouse kick": the former is humorous and racy; the latter is a deadly mistake.

hkim said...

OMG! Morimoto...He's like...awesome...better than 7 layer dip.

OMG. I think I would have tried to sniff him as well, but because I am not as refined as Yilin, I would have gone up to him and sniffed him. Lucky girl.

Anonymous said...

If my girlfriend (or fiance in your case) sniffed Morimoto, I would have been forced to immediately save face by spitting out my sushi and loudly insulting the skill of the head cook (that's right, I didn't say "chef", I said "cook") before he walked too far away. Then, after he challenges me to a duel to save his own face, I would have beaten him with one of his own sushi rolls and rubbed wasabe in his eyes. Before you know it, your girl loves you even more -- like in the movies -- because you beat some guy up.

dan said...

dude it totally was a lethal mistake. chuck norris approached me at Barnes n Noble today and said: "I heard you questioned my roundhouse kick." But I very quickly convinced him otherwise, and thankfully he released me from the chokehold just before I died. Then, to prove he was a gentleman, he bought me a green tea.

wasabe in the eye is harsh