Recently, a woman heard that the house from the movie "A Christmas Story" was up for auction on eBay. She jokingly told her husband, who claims that it is his favorite movie. Well, he won the auction for $150,000 without even consulting her. (She is in the Navy and was at sea; he said he "didn't have time" to ask.) He didn't even see the house, which is in Cleveland (he and his wife live in California).
He then spent $200,000 restoring the house and filling it with antique furniture that exactly matches the furniture in the movie. It is open as a museum, and for $5 you can walk through it. Across the street he opened a gift shop. One of the many things that he sells are replica "leg lamps" from the movie. You can have them shipped in wooden crates that say "FRAGILE" (pronounced "frah GEE Lay") and be accompanied with a certificate that says "You've won a major award!". (I think they will also send telegrams saying the same.)
I really wanted to get one for Hyunmi and one for my brother, but the full size ones are almost $200, so I had to pass. However, last year this guy made $700,000 selling leg lamps. That is crazy. Who is buying them all?
Anyway, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Kwanzaa, Merry Festivus, etc etc.
Friday, December 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Clam chowder - I previously blogged about this. No leg lamp reward for you!
Post a Comment