Thursday, January 18, 2007

My first race

Sunday will be my first long distance race ever. I am running in the Manhattan half marathon (13.1 miles). I originally signed up to run with Hyunmi, but she is backing out due to a knee injury.

To be honest, I haven't trained for this event. Well, not in a meaningful way. Sometime in November I started running with Yilin. We ran 3-4 miles per day, two (sometimes three) times per week. Then we went to Montreal for Christmas, then I was sick for two weeks, so I missed a lot of "training". This week is the first week I have run since mid-December: I ran 4 miles twice.

Effectively, I will be running the half marathon in close to the worst degree of physical fitness I have ever sunk to. Why do it, then? Because if I can be in such poor shape and still run a half marathon, then I have no reason not to tackle any physical challenge. Granted, it's not the same as taking on a marathon without training, but you have to qualify for most marathons. Besides, if I want to I can just run the course a second time once I finish. ;)

5 comments:

paducci said...

good luck my friend. while i personally have no interest in running anything beyond 10/15k i wish i was running myself. i haven't ran since...?.. ... a long time. i'm sure paris can offer up some fine running, but i need to find running routes.

(google search time elapses)

i just searched for runs and there is a paris 1/2 marathon on march 11th!

dan said...

y'know, at our age, it starts being a bad idea to run long distances without the proper training. if nothing else, I suggest you do some extensive stretching before and after your race. And I mean, like, 45 minutes of stretching. painful, thorough stretching.

Anonymous said...

What...no more weight training? Have I lost a brother in all that is pumping iron?

I've been friends with many marathon runners...they trained quite a bit. Much more than 3-4 miles 3X a week.

Good Luck.

josh said...

vijay, no reason not to run a half marathon in paris. unless, of course, the cigarette smoke of your fellow runners is bothersome.

dan, stretching before a run, while cold, is bad. i may jog about, oh 100 yards then stretch. ;) i will stretch after. and the day after. and the day after the day after.

phil, i injured my shoulder and have put weightlifting on hiatus. what i have is called a SLAP tear. a minor one, but it makes certain movements painful. once it heals i will be back in the gym.

dan said...

that's the best image, of Parisians jogging with cigarettes in their mouths. Sadly, it's not true. Everywhere we went we saw people in really short shorts, or in tights, jogging. Gave me the shivers.