Monday, March 12, 2007

"This is Sparta!"

This weekend Hyunmi, Yilin, and I went and saw 300. I enjoyed it very much. However, I picked up on all the differences between the movie and comic book, as well as the slight departures from perceived historical reality, so I was left with an awkward feeling because I had trouble immersing myself in the movie rather than analyzing it. But I did really like it, and will certainly be buying the DVD when it is released. I may even go see it in the theater again, if I can find the time.

I already mentioned the plot in a previous post, so I won't rehash that here. The visual feel of the movie was very much like that in the comic book, which was cool. The music was pretty good as well. Yilin and Hyunmi both think that Gerard Butler (King Leonidas) is hot.

If you make the wise decision to see this movie, sit around for the end credits: they are done in a sort of moving comic book illustration style that isn't easy to describe but is cool to see. I'm not sure why they didn't do the opening credits like that. Perhaps it was because there weren't really opening credits and the movie went straight into combat... (Not really, but it could've.)

8 comments:

dan said...

Oooh. I'm going to see this tonight on the IMAX. I kind of expect to not like it, cos my tastes do run a bit to the artsy (but never the fartsy), however, I often love to underestimate a movie cos then I can be pleasantly surprised and love it.

SPARTANS
NEVER
SURRENDER

hahaha.

IMAX
MADE
EVEN THE MATRIX III
BEARABLE!

dan said...

SPARTANS
SELL OUT
IMAX THEATERS
EVEN ON MONDAY NIGHTS!

Oh well.

josh said...

i don't usually opt for imax movies because i like to be able to see the entire image, which is nigh impossible with imax. it's the same reason why i try to avoid "formatted for tv" versions and stick with letterbox: i like to see the director's vision as intended.

yilin and i learned something when going to see this movie: there are matinees in manhattan (at loews theaters). however, a matinee ($6 instead of $12) is defined as any movie which starts before noon. of course, showtimes don't start until 11am at the earliest, and i don't think every movie has matinees.

dan said...

Yeah, you're right about IMAX. You have to get there early enough to guarantee a seat in the back and more or less in the middle. Then you pretty much have a good view.

I saw Apocalypse Now for the first time on IMAX. It was the 3+ hour version. Holy hot damn, I have NEVER seen so many people stay in their seats as the credits began to roll, it was like everyone was suffering from post-traumatic stress.

hkim said...

Hot?! They were all hot. Oh man. Even seeing it for a second time I was amazed. But what could I expect? I mean these were the men of all men. Living with such passion and drive. THIS
IS
SPARTA

I think Mike thinks I have a problem.

josh said...

mike is probably just jealous. for many months now, whenever i told yilin that i was going to bulk up after my shoulder healed, she would tell me that she didn't want me to. now she wants me to. go figure.

i told her that gerard butler has a condo in manhattan, and she got all excited. she told me she was going to stalk him and marry him. what shall i ever do?

Anonymous said...

so Yilin and Hyunmi both think that Gerard Butler (King Leonidas) is hot. Well I think King Leonidas' wife is hotter!

hkim said...

Haha, the queen is definitely hot. I tried to balance out my gushing admiration and complete awe of King Leonidas by saying, "honey, I know that the queen is wayyy hotter than me and if you said so, I would totally agree because it's true. Like the truth and undeniable awesomness of King Leonidas."

Mike of course wouldnt say so, making me look like the bad guy in the relationship...

This didn't stop my gushing though.

Side note, did you know that the oracle dancing scene was done under water? So cool.