Monday, April 16, 2007

Bacon of the Month Club?

Last night Yilin and I watched the Food Network awards. It was interesting, and a bit better than we expected. They basically had different categories pertaining to different types of foods (chocolate, comfort food, ballpark food, etc) and then told a bit about the nominees (mostly restaurants or small companies), and then gave out the award.

It was interesting to note that there was a large emphasis on restaurants and companies who use locally grown food, organic food, and anything "green" (not Kermit green or Hulk green, but "green" in the "environmentally friendly" sense of the word). Many of the restaurants or companies were powered entirely by solar power or wind power.

But one category in particular stood out: food of the month clubs. The first nominee mentioned (although not the winner) was the Bacon of the Month Club. Trust me when I say that as soon as I move in with Yilin after the wedding, I am joining this club. For life, if they have a lifetime membership option. (I wanted to enroll last night, but decided to wait until I move in 2 months so that a single shipment cannot be lost in the mail.)

Just follow the above link and read what that page has to say: one paragraph of text and some bullet points. Honestly, if you need someone to sell you on the BOM, then you don't really like bacon anyway, and I have lost interest in talking with you. ;)

I can't wait!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, that is awesome. Lindsey was a vegetarian most of her life until several years ago. While on vacation she tried bacon as a cure for hangovers. Now she eats anything that was once living (albeit we still have a very predominant vegetarian diet). How many people can actually point to bacon as their "gateway meat".

hkim said...

That's awesome!

Also, I would like to use this bacon-loving forum to say this:

This weekend Mike and I went to buy bacon. We are trying to be healthy and looked at the nutritional information on turkey bacon. It turns out that it is largely trickery. Turkey bacon lists their serving as one slice, while Oscar Meyer's Low sodium PORK bacon lists 2 slices. Essenitally they were the SAME, butlooked like turkey bacon was better at a quick glance. Actually, regular bacon was better cause it had less sodium.

TRICKERY!

Oh, and Mike is totally done with the soy stuff. Ha! I win.

Katie said...

Not only are you getting bacon, but you'll be getting "The Bacon of the Month Club Pig Ballpoint Pen" and "A Little Rubber Toy Pig." Haha... who could ask for more?

josh said...

katie, i could ask for more: specifically a bacon tee-shirt. wait! it's included!

yilin is concerned that this will be too much bacon. (pfft. "too much bacon" is an impossibility.) i told her that in the event that it is "too much bacon", we could invite people over to eat some of it. (i personally want to pay the extra money to receive 2 packages per month.)

of course, as reported in the onion, bacon IS good for you.

Anonymous said...

Too much bacon is bad for your lungs! Don't do it!

Check with your pals at Columbia about it here

dan said...

I am highly impressed with the intensity of planning, your intent to not miss a single shipment of bacon.

I only eat bacon in club sandwiches. That's not a hard policy, it's more an empirical truth. I don't know that I'd ever want to have new bacon each month, but I do know the fact I have the option strengthens my firm belief that the USA is the best country on earth.

The Europeans would probably poo-poo BOM because BOM didn't exist 300 years ago.

I would join a pickle of the month club, I think.