Monday, June 04, 2007

More Clocks!

I am still alive. Working harder than ever, but still alive.

Yesterday Yilin and I spent 6 hours in Ikea, eating both breakfast and lunch there. Six hours. She was not happy during the final hour or so, becoming impatient with the throngs of customers everywhere. I told her afterward that we are not buying any more furniture or home... anything.

It's been blinds, air conditioners, bookcases, shelves, storage bins, lamps, end tables, slipcovers, cabinets, recirculating above-the-range vents, shower curtains, extension cords, TV stands, kitchen chairs, sofa beds, kitchen tables, towel racks, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

The one cool thing that I bought at Ikea was a clock. Actually, I bought 3 identical clocks. They are round wall clocks with white faces and black tickmarks instead of numbers, and thin silver frames. They look very 1960's (or so) to me, yet definitely modern. I am going to put them on the wall and have each set to the appropriate time zone with the following cities (labeled underneath the clock): Montreal, Taipei, Winsted. (Think movies where you see clocks labelled 'New York', 'London', 'Tokyo' or such.)

The best part about this plan: Montreal and Winsted are the same time zone and Taipei is exactly 12 hours different. Thus all three clocks will read the exact same time.

Yilin thinks it is ridiculous, but I love it. I also love that 'Winsted' is thrown in there with Montreal and Taipei. Ha ha.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are still alive...I was wondering.

Know exactly what you mean 1960s clock, as my grandfather had a super cool GOLD one with the tickmarks. HOT. Underneath it was a picture of when he won the CT lottery. I forget how much it was but love the memory!

No one should spend that much time in Ikea it is unhealthy - did you buy an apartment - where is all that stuff going??!

Beaming with pride that there will be a "Winsted" clock. :-)

Anonymous said...

I was up to the medical center this afternoon for a meeting but left my cell phone at the office. You probably were too busy though judging from your total lack of participation in society of late! Hang in there, Saturday is almost here and that's just the start. BTW, that's a ton of stuff, where are you two putting it?

josh said...

all the stuff (which was only stuff i could remember off the top of my head), plus bridal shower gifts and wedding gifts, is going in our current/future place: yilin lives there now, and when she heads up to montreal this weekend (11 days until the wedding!) i will move the remainder of my stuff in.

i am working from the apartment today because we're having groceries delivered, a bed and kitchen table delivered, the air conditioner guys are coming to install our ACs (more on this below), and then all the furniture/unpacked stuff has to be moved back to where it was sitting. (i moved it to make room for everyone else.)

our building will not allow any residents to install their own AC for insurance purposes, so we have to pay "professionals" $200 per AC plus cost of supplies (tape, soundproofing material, brackets, etc). crazy, huh?

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wonder if someone got an air conditioner on their head at some point? Ouch.

hkim said...

That's awesome!
I have a crappy knicknack for your new home. Exactly what you wanted. Crap to fill up your new place.

josh said...

haha. hyunmi, i hope it's either a danish garden gnome or a french nut cracker dressed like a mime. ;)

Katie said...

Ahem, garden gnomes are not "crappy." Watch out, they might revolt when you are sleeping.

Anonymous said...

I told Ken about the clocks.. he figured out the times all on his own and thinks it's the coolest idea.