I've been doing some running on the treadmill at the gym lately. As if I disliked running enough, the treadmill is bringing my dislike to a whole new level. The only benefit of running on a treadmill vs. running outdoors is that you can control your speed and incline (although not decline) precisely. It's also very warm in there, which I intensely dislike. This morning, for instance, I was so soaked with sweat after my workout that I don't think jumping into a shower would have made me much more wet.
Furthermore, it's so loud in the cardio room at our gym, due to all the machines being used, music over the pervasive loudspeakers, and the volume from some of the TVs, that I have to blast my mp3 player to even hear music on my earbud-style headphones. Last week I actually hurt my ears from doing that, so I don't listen to music when I am in the cardio room anymore.
But, at least I can pace myself on the treadmill, which is something I cannot do when running outdoors. (I tend to get bored, start running faster, get out of breath, slow down to some ridiculous pace and get even more bored.)
This morning I ran for 40 minutes then biked for 20. I started with a mild jog for about 2 minutes before increasing my speed to 7 mph, which is about an 8:34 minute per mile pace, and I ran a bit more than 4.5 miles total. I then got some water and hopped on a bike, setting up a workout to keep my heart rate at 150, which I am guessing is in the fat-burning zone for me, but not quite the cardio zone, based on my fairly good cardio health compared to other people my age. (I need to sit down, or run around, this weekend and figure out what my target heart rate should be when I am training.) I ended up biking about 7.15 miles in that 20 minutes.
Mike, and a few other people, want me to start doing triathlons with them. I am interested, but I know the swimming will kill me, as I mostly do the breaststroke, not freestyle, never mind that I haven't swum in about a year and a half. Perhaps I'll start doing mini-triathlons at the gym: jump in the pool for a bunch of laps, get out and quickly towel myself down, run up one flight of stairs to the cardio room and bike, then hop off and jump on a treadmill to finish it off. Hmmm, that's not a bad idea...
Tuesday, March 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yeah, I agree, running on a treadmill in the gym can be very boring. However, I've found that you get used to it after a few visits. The heat issue never gets better though. I always feel slightly naseous when I leave Bard, especially if I had to wander into the sauna that is the womens' locker room at some point. Some day I'm going to open a gym that is kept at very cool temperatures, and you can have the very first free membership.
Why are you running inside??? Having switched from inside to outside in August, I realized what a difference there is between the two. The treadmill does some of the work for you, has you landing on a uniform surface, and doesn't really vary as much as natural terrain. I agree it's easier to set a pace, but part of running outside is learning how to do that yourself. Plus, outside running throws in the element of the elements. You're tough: get snowed on!
And outside you can have a running partner and talk...or race each other...or just keep each other motivated.
katie, thanks.
laura, i know it is crazy, but the alternative is running alongside the henry hudson parkway during rush hour. once i move back to a rural environment, or learn to properly pace myself, i will do all of my running outdoors. i know running in the gym is for wimps, but i am trying to preserve my lungs.
Good point: NYC running = very bad for lungs.
You might consider heading over to Central Park, or even down to Prospect Park. Bit of a hike, but might make a nice field trip every now and then.
Post a Comment