Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cable TV: Nevermore!

In the interest of saving money and saving our brains, Yilin and I decided to cancel cable TV. That's right, we don't have TV anymore. We're keeping our "high speed internet", which is only $40/month, but we knocked $70 off of our monthly bills by ditching cable TV. That's an incredible amount of money for something we didn't use that often.

According to the A. C. Nielsen company, who handles the TV show ratings, the average American watches 4 hours of TV per day. Four hours! The only way I could get 4 hours of TV-watching into my schedule would be to stop exercising and start eating dinner in front of the TV every night. Even then it would be tough, as I go to bed around 9:30-10pm.

The average American household has 2.6 people. (Well, kids are smaller than adults.) The average American month (ha) has 30 days. The average American household pays $60 per month for cable TV. Therefore, the average American household pays about $0.19 per person per hour of cable TV.

Yilin and myself definitely watched less TV than 4 hours per day, each, and probably paid upwards of $1 per person per hour of cable TV. Ultimately, not worth the price. Anyone else going without TV, or are we the only Luddites?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom and I have discussed doing the same within the past few months. It may happen for us in not too distant future.

Anonymous said...

I've been without cable for years now. But that is because I was really watching too much and got sick and tired of it (and the cost). I'm pretty much used to it now as the internet is saturated with all sorts of news and media...but I do miss hangin' on the couch and watching sports, Letterman, and Conan. I've switched to watching sport at the local bars. This can be damaging in more ways than one let me tell you! Anyways the government should crack down on the cable providers to discard the pricey package deal as 80% of the channels in these packages I can care less about.

Anonymous said...

When Nate and I moved to NYC 2 1/2 years ago we knew money would be tight and we didn't have a TV so we decided not to get cable (just internet).

At first we thought we'd do without it until we could afford it, and then we just liked it better that way! Besides all the major networks are now streaming most of their shows, so all you need is a computer and internet anyway! Cheers to no cable!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't had cable TV since 2004. It's too expensive, I hate 80% of the channels, and there is 10 minutes of commercials for every 30 seconds of actual show (not to mention that they play the exact same ads during every single commercial break). Sorry, I'm not into paying for the propaganda they want me to swallow.

Anonymous said...

I still have cable, and the cost keeps climbing while the number of channels in "the package" keep dwindling (and keep moving the ones I like off my package and putting channels like "O" in there). I make out a little better because my package combines telephone, internet and cable, but the cable is the biggest expense between the three. The shows I enjoy aren't really on the 'net and I refuse to watch any TV news program (because they are all sensationalized crap). For the (maybe) 4 hours a week I watch TV I could do without it and be just fine.

Anonymous said...

I'm a paid ($30) Nielsen family for a week starting 10/2, but after that, I may just shut my cable off as well. I have no time to watch and it is better if Jack makes up his own adventures with his imagination rather than watching Spiderman and his Amazing Friends! :-)