Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Preparation is the better half of Adventure

I have been reading about alpinism and training over the past few months. The goal is to get ready for a winter traverse of the Presidential Range of the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Recently, my brother and I had a short conversation about the trip. Basically he asked if I am committed to it, and I resoundingly stated, "YES!"

It really means doing cardio work, climbing stairs, and acclimating to the cold. Do not overestimate climatization. Mount Washington gets pretty darn cold, and the whole traverse is often used as a preparatory trip in summitting Denali. So, if you can suck it up in the cold, you will be much better off. Especially if you can feel your toes. ;)

In other news, a recent article about mind control was posted on SFGate.com. Read my little summary and find the link.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really psyched about this. The Whites haven't seen the best of me. When I cruised through last time, I merely toyed with those peaks. Now we give them all advantages: snow, ice, cold, and wind. Bah! We're going to crush the mountains under our heels and hear the lamentations of the Frost Giant's daughter on the winds when she comes to witness their doom...