Last night Yilin and I saw Mozart's 'Le Nozze di Figaro' ('The Marriage of Figaro') at the Metropolitan Opera House. It was great. Of course, it was a really late night, even considering the fact that Acts III and IV did not have an intermission. I got back to my apartment at 12:40am.
I enjoyed 'Cosi fan Tutte' more, for a few reasons: Some of the parts in Figaro were sung in a manner that made them sound spoken in an operatic voice, if that makes sense. These parts were more like dialogue than songs. Which is fine, but after witnessing how complex a plot could be advanced through song alone in 'Cosi', I was left feeling a little cheated. "Cosi fan tutte' was also a lot funnier. Not that opera needs to be funny, but both are comedies (as far as I know), and therefore the degree of 'funniness' matters.
I came to realize that I find the voices of the women much more impressive and amazing than those of the men. Sure, the men sound great, but the women sound divine. I wonder if I am biased because I like women... Who knows.
Afterward, Yilin mentioned something that I was wondering as well: Mozart apparently didn't trust women. Of course, none of his female lead characters was anything other than honorable in love, but the male characters always doubted and were jealous. In fact, most of the characters have doubts and jealousies in their minds. Interesting.
Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I randomly stumbled upon the name Amadeus today, and learned that it meant something like "beloved by god". Which makes sense, ama sounds related to amore, and deus is kinda obvious. And... uh... about all that I have to say that is anywhere near relevant to your post.
Post a Comment