Friday night Yilin and I went to the Metropolitan Opera to see Mozart's 'Cosi Fan Tutte' ("Women are like that"). It is a quite humorous story about two brothers who are convinced that their fiancees could never love anyone else, and their friend who teaches them that women are only human. The production was incredible: the sets were amazing, the lighting fantastic, the symphony outstanding and the voice talent extremely impressive. But then again, this is one of the greatest opera houses in the world, so should I really be surprised?
What made this opera especially enjoyable to me was that the performers incorporated a lot of physical comedy into the story. Sure, some of the lines delivered were humorous on their own, but it was how other lines were delivered, the expressions or gestures or downright brazen body language of some of the characters, which made this story live up to its potential as a comedy.
Unfortunately for you, this opera is no longer showing at the Met this season.
Saturday was a rugby day. We had our annual Fall tournament in honor of a former P&S rugger who was murdered in a mugging about 23 years ago. Naturally, winning this tournament is very important to us. At the end of the day, we were victorious. We ended up winning the tournament by soundly drubbing the one team that had beaten us earlier in the day. It was sweet. So we began drinking beer.
Sunday I woke up and felt broken. I was sore from head to toe and covered with bruises. I drank as much water as I could and made myself move around to flush out the lactic acid in my system. I began to feel somewhat normal after an hour of this. Continual slamming of your body into opponents, teammates, and the ground results in tenderized meat. Add dehydration and a few beers to the mix and you get quite the marinade, if you know what I mean.
I met up with Yilin for breakfast at Patisserie Claude. We then went up to Midtown so she could attend church and I 'roam about'. I had secret plans, however, and went to Fauchon. I met her outside of her church at 12:30pm and gave her a present: some marron glace (candied chestnuts) and a chocolate bar. Needless to say I was her favorite person for at least an hour or two.
We eventually made it to Brooklyn and had lunch at Grimaldi's. In the event that you don't read my review, then read this: go there. That's all there is to it. After an excellent lunch, we walked back to Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge. Apparently Yilin is scared of something to do with walking across bridges. I think it has to do with heights. Wait 'til I take her climbing. ;)
We made our way back to her apartment where I took a nap to aid in my recovery from rugby. She was cooking and paying bills I think. I don't really know since I was sleeping. I got up and we went to Elephant and Castle for dinner. Stay away. My review tells all. I walked her back to her apartment and we chatted, thankfully forgetting dinner. (It wasn't all bad, but... well, just read my review.) I got to bed rather early and slept like a petrified log.It was a good weekend. (Photo slideshow visible here.)

2 comments:
I haven't laughed this hard in a long time! I especially lost over the food reviews. This made my day.
I also loved your restaurant reviews. As I was reading, I couldn't help thinking that you could have another career as a Food Critic. You should forward some of these reviews to the New York Times or whatever paper New Yorker's read. You could then get paid to eat at all of these fabulous and not so fabulous eateries.
Post a Comment