Friday, January 20, 2006

I'm sure that you heard...

But I will tell you anyway (I wanted to a few days ago but didn't have time): Researchers in Taiwan have created green fluorescent pigs. Yes, that sounds ridiculous and frivolous, but there is a good purpose, I assure you. While this had to make news ("Look at what those crazy scientists are doing now! That's cool!"), the public's reaction is totally diverted from the research and medical benefits of such an organism, and focused on "designer babies" and "eugenics." I won't go into a tirade here, at least not now, but instead briefly discuss why this is good for research.

Scientists have been doing this sort of thing for many many years. I have used mice that fluoresce green in order to visualize what happens to specific cells when their development is perturbed. Without the green fluorescent protein (GFP), such studies would've been nigh impossible. If I implanted a slew of bone marrow cells into a recipient animal, I would want to know where all of those cells went. People use donor animals with genetic markers, like GFP, to track the fate of the donated cells. Pigs are used mostly for organ transplant experiments as their organ structure is remarkably similar to humans. In fact, I believe the first ever successful xenotransplant (cross-species organ transplant) involved a pig heart into a human male. (Can anybody correct me on this?)

So while it is good for science, it is not "new" and "exciting" for the most part. Just another day in the whizbang lives of us genetic engineers. In fact, I have to manipulate the DNA of several chick embryos later today. Yes, GFP will be involved.

5 comments:

Amy said...

The first successful organ xenotransplants were carried out in 1963, when chimpanzee kidneys were transplanted into 13 patients, one of whom survived for over nine months. The first cardiac xenotransplant was carried out in 1964, again using a chimpanzee donor. Only eight such operations have been attempted to date, and none of the patients have survived for very long. The longest survivor was baby Fae, who received a baboon heart in 1984 and lived for 21 days. As well as primates, pigs and sheep have been used as donors.

josh said...

well, i stand corrected. thanks amy. :)

dan said...

wtf. <--my complete reaction.

hkim said...

How can you be certain that these pigs are really GFP pigs? Haven't you learned anything from the scandal in South Korea?
I insist that I personally perform a western blot.

Anonymous said...

Question: what is the difference between a full organ replacement and a situation where grafts were performed, if both are classified as xenotransplants?

Some medical articles indicate in 1923 Harold Neuhof transplants a lamb kidney, and bone grafts from dogs onto people were performed in the 17th century.

This next one takes the cake. What the hell were they thinking!?

Freaky Stuff