Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Something new...

Last night Yilin and I finally saw Memoirs of a Geisha, which she had been wanting to see for a long time now. While we were sitting in the theater waiting for everything to start, we saw something we had never seen. Something new. A man with a long white cane came into the theater with a woman (presumably his wife) and sat down. She directed him. He was blind. Amazing.

This guy was willing to shell out $11 just to sit next to his wife for 2 hours and 25 minutes and listen to a movie that he can't even see. That is love. Of course, it would have been a far greater act of love if the movie were in Japanese and subtitled. (But then again, when all of your leading female roles are Chinese women pretending to be Japanese, well, the original language idea goes out the window.) But it was still amazing on his part.

Oh yeah, and the movie itself was very good. Great acting, beautiful cinematography. All around entertaining.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I had been waiting for that movie to come out since I read the book in 1999! I thought the movie was great!

dan said...

I don't remember who said it, but he wrote: imagine a Japanese movie about Americans, where the Americans are all played by Russians speaking bad English with bad accents, and you'll start to imagine what this movie looks like to a Japanese person. I think he may have liked the movie, though. :)

Anonymous said...

"That is Love" says it all. I am impressed.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Josh talking about a love "sighting" (no pun intended).

I, too, am impressed.