Thursday, March 23, 2006

Hedda Gabler

Last night Yilin and I went to see the off off off Broadway production of Hedda Gabler. When I say "off off off Broadway" I mean it. We traveled way out into Brooklyn to see it at the BAM Harvey Theater. (BAM stands for Brooklyn Academy of Music, which is purportedly famous. Why they show plays if they are a music academy is beyond me.) It was pretty darn good. Even though it was easy to understand all of the characters' personalities and motivations, I couldn't really relate to any of them.

Which is funny because Hedda's husband is a guy trying to publish a book and get hired by the local university. If there were any character that I should be able to relate to, it would be him, right? Wrong. He was a nerd. He spent their entire 6 month honeymoon searching rare book shops for medieval manuscripts on crops. When I have my 6 month honeymoon I certainly won't be reading. Not even street signs or menus, never mind developmental biology.

So why go to such lengths to see a play? I suppose because it is starring Cate Blanchett (the elf lady in The Lord of the Rings) and Hugo Weaving (the elf guy in The Lord of the Rings, and Agent Smith in The Matrix). With every other sentence Hugo Weaving uttered I was waiting for him to say, "Hello, Mr. Anderson." It was particularly amusing because I didn't even realize he was in the play, but I kept thinking, "This guy sounds like Agent Smith." After the actors and actresses bowed to the audience, Cate smacked Hugo's ass as they left the stage. I have no idea what it was about, but it amused me.

Cate was good, but so was everyone else. Afterward, Yilin, Katie, and Maggie were all talking about how "gorgeous" Cate Blanchett is. I have come to realize in my later years that women have an odd and distorted sense of what "beauty" is. Cate Blanchett may be pretty, but that is at best. And I have heard women describe Keira Knightley as "not that pretty." Pfft. Cate Blanchett gorgeous? Keira Knightley not that pretty? OK, whatever helps them sleep at night...

On another note, I saw my first famous person last night, and I don't mean either of the leading actors. Well, almost my first famous person. More about that later. I am supposed to be doing research instead of writing blog entries, so they tell me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learn that your girlfriend or spouse is gorgeous and every other female is "good looking" so that the 6 month honey moon lasts and lasts and lasts.....

Anonymous said...

Cate Blanchett is gorgeous... both physically and talent-wise. You're lucky to have seen her in person

josh said...

lucky, huh? in the history of mankind, the only people i would consider myself "lucky" to see in person are:

-Jesus
-Lady Godiva naked
-Bruce Lee
-Elvis, post-August 16, 1977

dan said...

I dig Cate Blanchett. She'd not hot but she's a cutie. She's got a somethin somethin that beats hotness (very broadly speaking, and reserving the right to raise infinite exceptions). And Keira nightly has a ridiculous underbite. If she got osme serious corrective surgery, then she'd be pretty. At the moment I can't look at her face and not imagine how far out her jaw is.

Anonymous said...

Cate Blanchett has something mysterious going on with her. I agree, she's attractive, but not beautiful.

Keira Knightly doesn't have an underbite, does she?

One of the most attractive people in the movie business has to be Kate Beckinsale - yum. Maybe she can't act, but I like to look all the same!

hkim said...

Keira Knightly reminds me of a barracuda due to her under bite. That being said, I do think she is pretty...in a fishy way.

And I totally agree with you, Josh. Lucky is to see Bruce Lee and Jesus. I would add to that list Ghengis Khan and Da Vinci. That would be lucky.

paducci said...

i heart keira, underbite and all.

cate is not hot or anything, she is a graceful pretty women. gorgeous, perhaps not. but then again...isn't this all subjective anyway?

josh said...

aaah, i see. "underbite", eh? show me a photo of it. i see a strong jaw/chin, in the direction of jay leno (but not so severe), but no underbite.

and you're right vijay, it is subjective, but that was the point. chicks find cate hot and keira not.

wow. who would've thought that "who's prettier: x or y?" was such a big deal?