Friday, March 10, 2006

What a load of...

I was surfing the web, as I am wont to do occasionally, and came across a page on some new age health website touting the benefits of wheat grass. (If you must know, I was wondering how much chlorophyll is in wheat grass juice as a matter of scientific curiousity.) It is web pages, nay, web sites like this that make these people look ridiculous. There are sentences with multiple factual errors, such as
Chlorophyll is the first product of light and, therefore, contains more light energy than any other element.

Even though I haven't taken any plant biology in over a decade, my basic understanding is that chlorophyll is not a product of light, as in "light makes chlorophyll," but rather it absorbs energy from sunlight. And by "basic understanding" I mean "extensive knowledge of cell biology, biochemistry, and chemistry." Also, according to the periodic table of elements, chlorophyll is not an element. Trust me, I checked it twice.

You think that was good? How about this gem:
Wheatgrass has what is called the grass-juice factor which has been shown to keep herbivorous animals alive indefinitely.

Unbelievable! Herbivores can live forever! Who knew? I am going to buy a cow and resist the temptation to butcher it. If what they say is true, it will outlive me! Heck, from this day forward I am going to be an herbivore!

Sure, how about I just absorb that enigmatic "grass-juice factor" by eating raw meat at Peter Luger's? Grass-juice factor my ass. That's like the Lorentz-Poincare ether theory: there's this invisible stuff all around us that permeates everything and it's called the ether. LIght travels through and interacts with the ether, but we can't. Yeah. Disproven with 19th century lights and mirrors. (Unless you believe this guy, who can't publish his work.)

Pseudo-science cracks me up. Anyone else got some good examples to make me laugh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you'll enjoy this site.

dan said...

A week or three ago there was an article in the Times, I think, mocking a scientist who was working on eternal youth. He was working on identifying all genes that cause age and trying to, I dunno, reverse them.

Visionary? Or quack? You decide.

Michael Halas said...

Yeah, those quotes are pretty funny. Quack science produces many a great laugh while at the same time scaring me that people may be sufficiently vulnerable to believing it.

And sorry, not to defend them but, indefinite does not mean forever. It means NOT definite, as in unknown.