Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Global Warming Machine

This morning I went for a run. For the past few weeks, I've been going on long runs (at least, long for me) every few days. Six miles here, nine miles there. This week I've been running three miles every morning, something which I am trying to turn into a regular habit.

As I was beginning my run I passed a billboard that had the time and temperature displayed at the bottom. I kid you not, 5:53 AM and 80 degrees F. Thankfully it wasn't as muggy as the past two days have been, although it was a bit sticky and there wasn't much of a breeze, even along the Hudson River.

When it gets warm outside, I have trouble running. I know, most people do, but I think I have extra trouble since I am such a cold weather person. In cooler weather, I can run at such a pace that my heart rate is hovering around 180 bpm and I'm breathing pretty hard and fast. But lately I've been struggling to maintain my heart rate up above 170 and I'm not that winded when I finish my runs. Perhaps some of it is due to my lack of aerobic conditioning right now. I don't know, but I blame it on the weather. Tomorrow I am going to push myself extra hard and see what happens.

One other thing about running in warm weather: when I finish a run I feel like a global warming machine. If I am standing still, I can feel the air around me warm up dramatically, and the temperature on my skin actually feels like it drops if I take step forward. Then the air warms up again. Further more, I feel like carbon dioxide is just leaking out of my skin, nevermind pumping out of my lungs in huge volumes with each breath. It is very odd. I think I will make myself a vest that has hundreds of small plastic pockets covering it, with each pocket filled with water. I'll throw it in the freezer at night, and put it on in the morning before I go running. Maybe that will help.

3 comments:

Amy said...

You make me tired just reading about you running. :-) I did my first 10k on the 4th and I was pooped.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Josh, I think that is a newly diagnosed Hartung disease (the warming thing). Pretty sure Dusty also has it.

josh said...

hey amy, congrats on the 10k! i haven't run a race in a while. i refuse to do so in the summer. well, i might if the race were in alaska in the summer, but otherwise no.

ali, i don't know if it's hartung related, but i'll tell you, i need to find a different climate. :)