Wednesday, June 14, 2006

About gosh darn time.

Finally, after about 3 mostly frustrating years (give or take a few weeks) I have been able to partly answer one of the two major questions I am addressing for my thesis. I am happy, tired, excited, relieved, motivated, and depressed all at the same time. The moment seems very anti-climactic, but I am glad that it has occurred.

There are some experiments in the works that will hopefully allow me to fully answer that question, within a month or two. As for the other major question, well, it is unlikely that I will be able to easily answer it without answering the first question.

I know, I am being vague, so let me explain the biological phenomena I am investigating and the questions I seek to address. The following is an excerpt from my Thesis Research Advisory Committee (TRAC) Meeting last December. It is incredibly information dense as the whole thing is supposed to be a summary of my thesis up until that point in time crammed into the miniscule length of 5 single-spaced pages.

The sympathetic division of the autonomic nervous system is responsible for maintaining homeostatic function within the body as well as performing nonhomeostatic functions such as the "fight-or-flight" response to life threatening situations. This system uses a 2-cell circuit to relay signals from the central nervous system to the periphery. Sympathetic preganglionic neurons (SPNs), whose cell bodies are located in the thoracic level spinal cord, project axons to the prevertebral and paravertebral sympathetic chain ganglia, where they innervate postganglionic cell bodies. The postganglionic neurons innervate target organs, such as the heart, lungs, and liver.

During development, the SPNs begin as a subset of the postmitotic motor neuron precursors that migrate from the ventricular zone to the lateral horn of the thoracic spinal cord. Most of the motor neuron progenitor pool adopts a somatic motor neuron fate, while the SPNs migrate to a more dorsal location and form the intermediolateral column in mouse and the column of Terni in chick. Downregulation of the transcription factor Hb9 is required for SPN specification and their characteristic migration.

Antibody against Phospho-Smad1/5/8 (PS1) specifically marks developing SPNs in chick and mouse embryos. BMP ligands function by binding type II and type I BMP receptor complexes, initiating a cascade of phosphorylation. In vertebrates, the type I receptor phosphorylates a positive Smad which then translocates to the nucleus to regulate transcription. Therefore, the presence of PS1 is indicative of active transduction of a BMP signal.

There is a correlation between the extent of SPN axon projection and SPN PS1 immunoreactivity. PS1 appears in SPN nuclei only when some axons reach the sympathetic chain. This raises the possibility that the SPNs are not receiving a BMP signal from the spinal cord, but rather from the periphery, despite BMP5 expression by the SPNs in chick and BMP expression in the roofplate. This peripheral signal is possibly from the sympathetic postganglionic neurons (the targets of SPNs), which require BMP signals from the dorsal aorta and express BMPs themselves.

We have also confirmed that embryonic chick and mouse SPNs are responding specifically to BMP signals. The SPNs of conditional BmprIa mutant mice, which lack receptor expression in the developing spinal cord, never stain for PS1 or nNos, and Isl1 staining is significantly reduced. Additionally, when the BMP-inhibitor Noggin is misexpressed in the spinal cord of chick embryos via electroporation, PS1 staining is lost in the SPNs. Therefore, loss of function and gain of function experiments support a role for BMPs in SPN development.

Taken together these observations raise several questions about the source and identity of the BMP signal. For instance, is the BMP originating from within the spinal cord or from peripheral tissue? If the signal is local in origin, why do only SPNs respond to it? If there is a peripheral signal, is it the BMP, or might it be a requisite non-BMP cosignal? Is there a difference between initiation and maintenance of the BMP signal? If the signal is derived from the periphery, are somatic motor neurons, which also project axons outside of the spinal cord, also competent to respond?

There you have it. My two main questions are:

1) What is the source of the BMP signal?
2) Which of the (many) BMPs is it?

My recent breakthrough addresses the first question. I have determined that the BMP signal is from a peripheral source. Our biggest candidate for the source is the sympathetic ganglia, where the sympathetic neurons reside (those neurons being the target of innervation by the SPNs). The other experiments I have in the works will (hopefully) indicate whether this hypothesis is true.

If all of that doesn't make any sense, well, sorry. I know that a picture is worth a thousand words, and if I posted some drawings/photos it would help make it easier to understand. I also realize that Biology is a language that only those trained in it can speak. Someday I will translate my research into English for my friends and family who don't speak Biology and give them a short talk with pictures to illustrate my points. However, that could take months to put together if I assume no more than high school level Bio taken more than a decade ago.

If someone asks you what I study, you can say one of the two following sentences, depending on your level of understanding and/or ability to memorize:

A) He studies developmental neurobiology.

B) He studies the development of a population of cells in the spinal cord during embryogenesis.

That's as simple as I can make it, although it reveals no details whatsoever. You can also tell people that my research will help victims of spinal cord injury live longer healthier lives. That's potentially true. Perhaps. ;)

11 comments:

Michael Halas said...

Wow! What a coincidence! I did the same project for my fourth grade science project.

However, I couldn't figure it out. Man, it seems so obvious now that you point it out.

The sympathetic ganglia! Of course! How could I have been so blind?! The sites at which preganglionic sympathetic nerves synapse with the cell bodies of postganglionic sympathetic nerves makes perfect sense. Especially if you consider their anatomical location and the routes taken by preganglionic neurones through the ganglia.

haaa.. anyway.

Good luck! It kicks ass to hear that things look to be going well. I'll be waiting for that highschool level biology translation because I understood less than half the words in that long quote of yours.

hkim said...

That's awesome! Congrats! I will buy you a King Kone in celebration! Lots of exclaimations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the break through! Bask in your moment of Glory and then hit the test tubes again to resolve question 2. Your quest for knowledge is astounding!

josh said...

wow mike, where did you go to school, the Enriched Learning Center for Gifted Children? (that's a simpsons' reference, if you didn't know.)

you seem to have figured out enough of the words to almost convince me you know what you're talking about. almost. ;)

thanks for the congrats and well-wishes. it feels good, particularly when coming from peers, but still good when coming from anyone.

graduate school is an interesting endeavor, particularly when it is research-based rather than coursework-based. anyone who has been in such a grad school program can attest that other people just don't understand.

two of my favorite quotes come from fellow grad students at columbia (both graduated now, but still around and still friends):

"The basic problem (with science) is that science doesn't work." -Naiche Adler

"Experiments work or they don't; both are grounds for getting drunk." -Victor Luria

paducci said...

congratas man. and hey, if it doesn't work, can't your thesis just say, "hey, these things didn't work...DON'T DO IT AGAIN"

...then get drunk.

Anonymous said...

c'mon Josh... Lanigan taught us that way back in anatomy class ...

Many congrats on your discovery! It must be a great feeling to discover something or figure out something that nobody else has before. That's huge!!

Anonymous said...

Umm....What? There were exactly 37 words in that entire post I understood, and all of them were "the", "a" or "an".

So...Congratulations??

josh said...

actually, vijay, that came up during my last committee meeting. the fact that i am in my 7th year of grad school, and the fact that experiments sometimes just don't work for unknown reasons, it was decided that if i try a certain set of experiments, and they come up negative then i can graduate anyway. of course, nobody wants to graduate with no data at all. hyunmi's advisor graduated with all negative data. it's crazy, but it can happen.

mr lanigan didn't even know my name. remember the day sarah stumpf made a name tag for me on an 8.5x11 piece of paper that said "Josh" in 6-inch tall letters and he still called me 'michael' or whatever he thought my name was?

as for discovering new stuff, yeah it is great. at some point it only starts to make an impact when it is something HUGE, mostly because you realize "hey, anybody could've discovered this if they even tried this really easy experiment. sadly, i am the only one who cares about this, so nobody else bothered with the easy experiment." ;)

eric, i will make all things concerning my project clear to you. i recommend that you have a 6-pack handy to ease the pain.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for your big break through! I already felt so proud of you(my future son)even though I don't have any clue about your experiment.
Thank you for giving us those simple ideas about what you are studying,that is also a question I have been asked by my people and I can't give them a clear answer.

Good luck for the rest of your research!
Siska

Anonymous said...

Most impressive! Congratulations!!

Many many MANY hours of your life are rewarded by being that much closer to graduation now. I'm pretty sure I don't know what the hell you said though, as my 10th grade Anatomy & Physiology class didn't cover this topic of obvious importance. (Damn you public school system!)

Here's my attempt at a summary in spite of my lack of education. Laugh all you want, I read your post twice as babelfish didn't help worth a damn.

Some cells (Josh: "Sympathetic preganglionic neurons") trigger adreneline rushes. It's known how they directly affect neighboring cells (Josh: "sympathetic chain"). You suspect more distant neighboring cells to also cause the adreneline rush (Josh: "This peripheral signal is possibly from the sympathetic postganglionic neurons.").

dan said...

Discovery is its own end.

I think this means you deserve a bottle of rare Romanian wine. At some point I will bring it to you, honest. :)